SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, our SSE Renewables (SSER) business continues to be at the forefront of our growth plans, and our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come. We are proud to be playing a critical role in the net zero transition, as we aim to more than treble the net capacity in operation to 13GW and grow renewable energy output five-fold to over 50TWh over the next 10 years.
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our key UK or Ireland sites, which includes but is not limited to:- Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Reading, Havant, Belfast or Dublin.
Salary: £37,600 - £56,400 + car / allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
As Wind Turbine Generator Commissioning Engineer you will be responsible for the day to day reporting of commissioning activities for the Electrical & Mechanical systems within the WTG and Transition Piece both on and offshore at the assembly/construction sites following through to offshore Pre and Post Energisation checks including High Voltage switching activities, whilst supporting commissioning team in the handover of assets to the Operations & Maintenance team. The key aspect of your role will be engagement with the project team and EPC to ensure systems are commissioned and energised safely, on time and to Company standards.
Your main responsibilities may include:
- Supporting onshore and offshore commissioning of the WTG and Transition Piece at the pre-assembly yards as part of our portfolio of Dogger Bank Assets.
- Assisting and supporting site activities to ensure safe, full and effective use is always made of resources and construction of the project(s) is achieved within budget and in accordance with Company and/or client policies and procedures.
- Attending multiple site locations supporting the activities to ensure commissioning procedures are followed and are completed, signed and verified in conjunction with project procedures and documentation.
- Interfacing with Contractors and joint venture partner on applicable commissioning scopes onshore and offshore.
- Review of documentation, punch-list items and resolving any issues using Company project completions system.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Experience working within an electrical engineering environment on low voltage and high voltage plant/equipment such as, HV cables, 66kV switchgear, Systems within the WTG and SCADA.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of offshore wind farm construction, commissioning and or operations in the UK or a similar industrial sector. Knowledge of wind turbine technology together with grid connection transmission system is highly beneficial.
- A relevant technical education or apprenticeship, preferably within Electrical Engineering or similar, experience as senior authorised person to at least 66KV, WTSR or Operational Safety Rules would be beneficial although training can be provided.
- Ability to thrive on coordinating commissioning activities and managing the associated tasks.
- Personal drive and a robust sense of quality and professionalism, sharing SSE Values, Vision and Goals, including our Safety Family.
As a Wind Turbine Commissioning Engineer, your location can be flexible within the UK. Extensive travel within the UK & Europe will be required based on Project requirements, sometimes at short notice with a view to rotational offshore work when installation and commissioning commences early 2023.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Douglas on Douglas.McAllister@sse.com or 01738 275199.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.