Our Arborist teams help to ensure that during bad weather, trees do not fall on power lines. Working with highly skilled teams, they clear trees and vegetation in proximity to our overhead transmission and distribution network, ultimately keeping the lights on for our customers.
We're growing our team and looking for people who love being outdoors and have experience climbing or working at height. If you have previous experience in tree cutting, forestry or arboriculture that's a bonus, although full training will be given.
About the Role
Salary: NC03 £24,479-£29,879 (depending on skills and experience)
Permanent | Full Time Hours (37)
We invest millions every year to make sure that our network is in the best condition possible to minimise the risk of power cuts and to ensure the safety of the public. During high winds and storms, trees can contact our equipment and cause power cuts, and so we cut them down or trim them back to keep the lights on. As well as installing the latest technologies and carrying out regular maintenance, we have our in-house tree-cutting team to make sure that trees and vegetation are kept away from our overhead lines and equipment.
Being part of a cyclical tree cutting programme, you will work with a highly skilled team to manage trees & vegetation near the transmission and distribution network. Working with safety at the forefront of all activities, you will work with your team to evaluate, prepare and carry out tree cutting works on a variety of sites.
Your Skills and Experience
- Comfortable working outdoors with previous experience in tree cutting, forestry or arboriculture; similar capacity experience is also considered
- Holding experience of working with power lines, and climbing would be highly advantageous
- You should already have relevant NPTC certificate units for the use of chainsaws, and a qualification or certificates including NPTC UA would be a bonus, however not essential- Knowledge of the electricity network would be beneficial, however for the right applicant, full training will be provided
- A full, current driving licence is beneficial as travel will be required.
Whilst the above skills and experience are important, we also have several personal competencies that we look for in our future employees;-
- High regard for safety, embedding yourself in our safety culture and adhering to guidelines in everything you do is a key priority
- Good communication skills & comfortable liaising with stakeholders at all levels, both internal and external
- Good organisational skills with an ability to work to deadlines
- Good customer relationship skills, and a commitment to providing a high level service at all times
- Enthusiasm and drive with a flexible approach to work and an ability to adapt to changing business and project priorities; you may have to work away from home occasionally so this is key
About our Business
SSEN Distribution powers 3.8 million homes and businesses in communities across central southern England and the north of Scotland. Our team of more than 3,500 people keep customers connected to a safe and reliable supply of electricity whilst developing the flexible networks that are vital to achieving net zero. By enabling a smarter, more resilient electricity network we're ensuring our local communities continue to receive the power they need, both now and in the future. We are consistently investing and innovating to improve network resilience and future-proof power supplies for life's changing demands, from rolling out large scale EV charging schemes to supporting small community generation projects.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Robert.Clark@sse.com / 01738 341105.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
Explore our full list of benefits:
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.