Our Arborist teams help to ensure that during bad weather, trees do not fall on power lines. Working with highly skilled teams, they clear trees and vegetation in proximity to our overhead transmission and distribution network, ultimately keeping the lights on for our customers.
We're growing our team and looking for people who love being outdoors and have experience climbing or working at height. If you have previous experience in tree cutting, forestry or arboriculture that's a bonus, although full training will be given.
We're proud to have been a Principal Partner for COP26, the UN Climate Change Conference, and are leading the way to provide the energy needed now, while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
To reach net zero by 2050, we're looking for people who can bring big ideas, new skills and innovative thinking to help us build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
So join us on our journey to net zero. Help us power change.
Base Location: Berkshire
Salary: £10.66 - £13.94 per hour + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible working options available
What is the Role?
We invest millions every year to make sure that our network is in the best condition possible to minimise the risk of power cuts and to ensure the safety of the public. During high winds and storms, trees can strike our equipment and cause power cuts, and so we cut them down or trim them back.
- As well as installing the latest technologies and carrying out regular maintenance, we have our in-house tree-cutting team to make sure that trees and vegetation are kept away from our overhead lines and equipment.
- You'll be part of an extensive tree cutting programme, where you will help to ensure that during bad weather, trees do not fall on power lines by clearing trees and vegetation in proximity to our overhead transmission and distribution network.
- Working with safety at the forefront of all activities, you will work with your team to evaluate, prepare and carry out tree cutting works on a variety of sites.
To see a snapshot of what a day in the life of a Tree Cutter looks like, please click on the link below:
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- You should ideally already have relevant NPTC certificate units for the use of chainsaws, and a qualification or certificates including NPTC UA would be a bonus, however not essential. Previous experience in tree cutting, forestry or arboriculture; similar capacity experience climbing would be highly advantageous.
- You'll be the 'outdoorsy' type, comfortable working outdoors. Knowledge of the electricity network would be beneficial, however for the right applicant, full training will be provided.
- A full, current driving licence is essential as travel will be required.
- A high regard for safety, embedding yourself in our safety culture and adhering to guidelines in everything you do is a key priority,
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; comfortable liaising with stakeholders at all levels, both internal and external, excellent organisational skills with an ability to work to deadlines and outstanding customer relationship skills, and a commitment to provide a high-level service.
About our Business
SSEN Distribution powers 3.8 million homes and businesses in communities across central southern England and the north of Scotland. Our team of more than 3,500 people keep customers connected to a safe and reliable supply of electricity whilst developing the flexible networks that are vital to achieving net zero. By enabling a smarter, more resilient electricity network we're ensuring our local communities continue to receive the power they need, both now and in the future. We are consistently investing and innovating to improve network resilience and future-proof power supplies for life's changing demands, from rolling out large scale EV charging schemes to supporting small community generation projects.
Life at SSE
If you're considering a career with us, you're probably wondering what's in it for you? From health and wellness to finances and family, we're proud of our benefits package which includes 34 days holiday (plus the option to buy additional days), enhanced maternity and paternity leave, discounted healthcare and a wide range of offers via our SSE Advantage scheme.
At SSE we're proud to celebrate difference. We all have different skills, experience and backgrounds and we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture where you can be yourself. We take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it'.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application and assessment process, and upon joining SSE.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact email@example.com / 01738 341514.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
Explore our full list of benefits:
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.