Base Location: Perth or Glasgow
Salary: £40,000-£60,000 per annum + annual bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Flexible working options available
What is the Role?
SSEN Transmission has an opportunity for a System Performance Engineer to undertake power system studies to support the integration of low carbon generation and related technologies onto the transmission system in the north of Scotland. Our System Performance team provides an advanced simulation capability which includes cutting edge large scale EMT modelling using PSCAD on a dedicated simulator.
The key duties & responsibilities will be:
- Undertake detailed simulation studies to support the connection of renewable generation, FACTS devices, HVDC links and railway feeder stations.
- Help deliver innovation projects ensuring that our business is at the forefront of new developments in system modelling and monitoring.
- Support the operation of our network by assisting the with analysis of events and disturbances.
- Represent SSEN Transmission in external meetings and on industry workgroups
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Experience in power system analysis, design and planning, ideally within the electricity transmission area, with working knowledge of the relevant industry and technical standards
- A deep understanding of power system modelling and analysis with experience in several of the following areas: load flow and short circuit calculations, dynamic (RMS) simulation, power quality and system monitoring, EMT simulation for transients, EMT simulation for control interaction studies and automation scripting.
- Experience with industry standard analysis tools such as PSS/E, Power Factory, PSCAD and Matlab/Simulink. Knowledge of the Python scripting language would also be advantageous.
- Good knowledge of the electricity industry, including interfaces with the regulator, the Electricity System Operator, other Transmission Owners and Distribution Network Operators
- Ability to write clear and well-structured technical reports and specifications and provide focussed information for senior management.
- A degree in electrical engineering or related numerical discipline and ideally be a Chartered Engineer with a relevant institution.
About our Business
SSEN Transmission owns and operates the electricity transmission network in the north of Scotland, transporting energy from where it is generated to where it is needed, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. Home to some of the UK's greatest resources of renewable energy, SSEN Transmission is playing a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future, developing, building, maintaining and operating a network for net-zero.
Life at SSE
If you're considering a career with us, you're probably wondering what's in it for you? From health and wellness to finances and family, we're proud of our benefits package which includes 34 days holiday (plus the option to buy additional days), enhanced maternity and paternity leave, discounted healthcare and a wide range of offers via our SSE Advantage scheme.
At SSE we're proud to celebrate difference. We all have different skills, experience and backgrounds and we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture where you can be yourself. We take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it'.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application and assessment process, and upon joining SSE.
All applications should be submitted online, and we will be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact email@example.com.
EXTERNAL: Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal record and credit check.
INTERNAL: As a courtesy, please let your current line manager know you are applying.
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?