We're proud to have been a Principal Partner for COP26, the UN Climate Change Conference, and are leading the way to provide the energy needed now, while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
To reach net zero by 2050, we're looking for people who can bring big ideas, new skills and innovative thinking to help us build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
So join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
Base Location: Aldershot
Salary: £19,348 - £24,034 + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible working options available
What is the Role?
The main purpose of this role will be the responsibility for the routine safety and integrity inspections of Primary and Distribution Substations, covering all voltages associated with the Distribution Network.
- You will be expected to develop your knowledge of the risks associated with Substation sites and their associated plant and equipment and escalate any urgent issues to be addressed immediately.
- Whilst carrying out your tasks in a variety of conditions in all weathers, you will conduct Substation inspections and clearance activities which will include High Risk Site activities.
- You will be expected to record all required information as per current processes accurately to ensure compliance and meet all regulator and legislative standards.
- As an ambassador for SSEN you are expected to maintain and improve proactively, exceptional customer relations with landowners and members of the public.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- You will be Electrically Authorised as a Competent Person (Cat1) and will have working knowledge of ESQCR requirements.
- The IT skills necessary to record and update required data and have operated within a customer driven environment and possess excellent customer service skills.
- An awareness of Statutory, regulatory and licence requirements and industry wide Code of Practice is a necessity for this role, as is an understanding the price control challenges and targets within a regulated business environment.
- Ability to safely access remote equipment positioned over rough ground and hillsides and the technical knowledge to interpret levels of wood rough using provided technology.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills and the ability to deliver within challenging timescales, the ability to effectively prioritise, plan and organise and balance immediate and longer term business priorities. Flexibility to work away from home.
About our Business
SSEN Distribution powers 3.8 million homes and businesses in communities across central southern England and the north of Scotland. Our team of more than 3,500 people keep customers connected to a safe and reliable supply of electricity whilst developing the flexible networks that are vital to achieving net zero. By enabling a smarter, more resilient electricity network we're ensuring our local communities continue to receive the power they need, both now and in the future. We are consistently investing and innovating to improve network resilience and future-proof power supplies for life's changing demands, from rolling out large scale EV charging schemes to supporting small community generation projects.
Life at SSE
If you're considering a career with us, you're probably wondering what's in it for you? From health and wellness to finances and family, we're proud of our benefits package which includes 34 days holiday (plus the option to buy additional days), enhanced maternity and paternity leave, discounted healthcare and a wide range of offers via our SSE Advantage scheme.
At SSE we're proud to celebrate difference. We all have different skills, experience and backgrounds and we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture where you can be yourself. We take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it'.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application and assessment process, and upon joining SSE.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 01738 344528.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?