Base Location: Perth (with a requirement to be based in the Perth office 2-3 days per week, with flexibility to work from home / another SSE office the remainder of the week).
Salary: Relevant Role Experience £38,600 - £62,000 + disturbance allowance, performance-related bonus, shift bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
What is the Role?
The Energy Management Centre (EMC), supports our business by managing real time energy balances and market exposures from SSE's assets and customers. As part of a shift team, you will trade real time gas and electricity from the day ahead stage until delivery, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
This is a high-profile role, central to the success of SSE and will be at the forefront of the green energy transition supporting the growth of the whole business. The Shift Energy Trader is central to the real time optimisation and despatch of the SSE energy portfolio, looking to minimise risks and maximise value.
Your key accountabilities will include:
- Managing the dynamic short-term energy portfolio for SSE This will include ensuring our energy portfolio is economically despatched, scheduled and traded in a manner where we satisfy our legal, regulatory and market obligations. Appraising commodities in the markets and reacting to changes.
- You will have a primary focus on helping to deliver budgets, executing complex strategies while managing the electricity or gas positions and the balancing services offered by us.
- As part of a team, you will look to continually evaluate the changing energy markets and develop strategies to manage the complexities of our portfolio.
- Appraise, recommend and execute trading strategies for the short term energy auctions, continuous energy markets and real time balancing mechanisms.
- You will report progress of key KPI's to the SSE business units with full transparency and accuracy.
What do I need?
To be considered we would love you to have;
- Intimate knowledge of competitors assets, able to name them, their significance in the context of the market and against SSE comparable assets
- Recognise patterns in markets rather than simply being cognitive of data
- Propose strategy as opposed to following instruction competently
- Identify churn opportunities and trade to make profit as opposed to transact commodities to balance. demonstrable portfolio of profit achieved.
- Take lead on arranging asset visits, give presentations, attend Industry forums and provide team feedback demonstrating subject expertise.
- Demonstrate wider knowledge of market changes, new instruments and initiatives beyond scope of core role
- Have developed an advanced understanding of how power generating assets, storage and gas infrastructure work as opposed to rudimentary understanding of their purpose
About our Business
Energy Portfolio Management (EPM) is the energy markets heart of the SSE Group, securing value for SSE's asset portfolios in wholesale energy markets as we move towards our vision of being a leading energy company in a net zero world. We play a critical role as the short-term energy market asset optimiser, and a long-term energy market adviser, for all SSE's Business Units (across SSE's Wind, Hydro, Low Carbon Thermal, Distributed Energy and Customer portfolios). This role for EPM enables SSE to focus its investment in energy markets capabilities (including Trading, Risk Management, Energy Economics and Advanced Analytics) in one centre of excellence, with these enhanced capabilities supporting value creation and decision making across the SSE Group.
Life at SSE
If you're considering a career with us, you're probably wondering what's in it for you? From health and wellness to finances and family, we're proud of our benefits package which includes 34 days holiday (plus the option to buy additional days), enhanced maternity and paternity leave, discounted healthcare and a wide range of offers via our SSE Advantage scheme.
At SSE we're proud to celebrate difference. We all have different skills, experience and backgrounds and we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture where you can be yourself. We take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it'.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application and assessment process, and upon joining SSE.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact David.Brickell@sse.com / 01738 275846.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?