Base Location: Reading
Salary: £38,600 - £58,000 + car allowance + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible working options available
What is the Role?
Safety is at the centre of everything we do. The SHE Advisor will work within our Networks Major Projects group in a team responsible for delivering substation capital asset replacement projects on our network from 11kV -132kV.
A competent professional, with an excellent technical understanding of the CDM Regulations and occupational safety, you'll act as the safety conscience of the team. You will be required to produce construction phase plans, risk assessments and method statements, health and safety files and ensure projects are set up, delivered and closed out in accordance with the CDM Regulations.
Your responsibilities will include the implementation of the CDM Regulations for all of our projects both during design and execution and active/reactive monitoring of our SHE performance and fulfil our legal obligations as Principal Contractor.
You'll provide positive engagement and support to ensure remedial actions arising from audits and investigations are implemented; ensuring incidents are reviewed, recorded, communicated and reported at the correct levels, with actions closed out.
Developing trusted working relationships with key stakeholders is essential, as is improving the safety culture throughout all aspects of the Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks business.
What do I need?
The ideal candidate for this role will have experience of working in a Project Delivery Team, have demonstrable qualifications and experience in safety and risk management, with a pragmatic, flexible, people centred approach.
- Proven track record working as part of a team delivering utility CDM Projects with experience of the key roles within the regulations, e.g. Principal Contractor duties
- You will also have detailed knowledge of the CDM Regulations, construction projects and qualitative and quantitative risk assessment
- Previous experience in utility construction projects
- You'll demonstrate professional internal and external stakeholder management skills to drive cross business collaboration to build a high performing, commercially and customer focused safety culture.
- A graduate qualification in Occupational Safety (e.g. NEBOSH Diploma) or relevant equivalent or be able to demonstrate equivalent knowledge through experience is a necessity for this role. Membership of IOSH (or equivalent organisation) is also preferred as is previous experience in the utility sector.
- You should be an excellent communicator with a natural ability for building and maintaining relationships with both internal and external stakeholders. You'll have the ability to use a wide range of techniques to influence change at all levels of the organisation and will possess a well-structured, systematic approach with the ability to identify and analyse complex technical issues and understand risks in order to provide appropriate solutions.
- Due to the level of mobility required in this role, a full UK driving licence is essential.
About our Business
SSEN Distribution powers 3.8 million homes and businesses in communities across central southern England and the north of Scotland. Our team of more than 3,500 people keep customers connected to a safe and reliable supply of electricity whilst developing the flexible networks that are vital to achieving net zero. By enabling a smarter, more resilient electricity network we're ensuring our local communities continue to receive the power they need, both now and in the future. We are consistently investing and innovating to improve network resilience and future-proof power supplies for life's changing demands, from rolling out large scale EV charging schemes to supporting small community generation projects.
Life at SSE
If you're considering a career with us, you're probably wondering what's in it for you? From health and wellness to finances and family, we're proud of our benefits package which includes 34 days holiday (plus the option to buy additional days), enhanced maternity and paternity leave, discounted healthcare and a wide range of offers via our SSE Advantage scheme.
At SSE we're proud to celebrate difference. We all have different skills, experience and backgrounds and we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture where you can be yourself. We take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it'.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application and assessment process, and upon joining SSE.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Natalie.Clark@sse.com.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?