We're proud to have been a Principal Partner for COP26, the UN Climate Change Conference, and are leading the way to provide the energy needed now, while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
To reach net-zero by 2050, we're looking for people who can bring big ideas, new skills and innovative thinking to help us build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
So join us on our journey to net-zero and help us power change.
About the Role
Base Location: Perth or Glasgow
Salary: £48,000 to £70,000 dependent on skills and experience + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time| Flexible First options available
The Transmission System Planning and Investment team is a critical function within the SSEN Transmission business. It has the specialist technical capability and experience to undertake the system studies and designs required to plan the current and future Transmission network, and ensures that safety, security of supply and performance of the network is maintained in accordance with required planning standards, Grid Code, SQSS and other licence obligations.
We continue to see growth in the onshore and offshore connection of low carbon and renewable generation on our network. This is presenting us with exciting challenges in how we integrate these new connections onto our network while ensuring that the technical performance of the system is maintained. The role of the Senior System Planning and Investment Engineer is an exciting opportunity for you to contribute to our strategic vision to facilitate the GB transition to a low carbon future.
The key duties & responsibilities will be:
- Carry out, review and direct where appropriate: feasibility studies, power system studies, technical assessments and economic planning related to the future development of the Transmission network.
- Undertake and support high-quality technical analysis related to connection of generation and demand onto the Transmission system.
- Ensure compliance with statutory, regulatory and licence requirements in the most economic, efficient and coordinated manner.
- Present study findings to a range of audiences both internal and external to SSEN Transmission at all levels.
- Support and develop innovative technical capabilities to ensure we are at the forefront of planning a Network for net-zero.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- A degree (or equivalent) in a relevant Engineering discipline and ideally be a Chartered Engineer in a relevant institution.
- You'll have demonstrable experience in Network Planning, ideally in the GB Electricity Transmission sector, with knowledge of relevant industry and technical standards, and how these evolve.
- You should have good knowledge of the industry structure, including interfaces with the Regulator, System Operator, other Transmission Owners and Distribution Network Operators. You'll also have an understanding of the commercial mechanisms for investments, including statutory processes, and the Licence Obligations under which SSEN Transmission operates.
- As a Senior Engineer you will guide and review technical assessment of connections to the transmission system as well as developing options and investment cases for new transmission reinforcements. This will involve use of power systems software (PSS/E, PowerFactory), investments tools and collaborative working with internal teams within SSEN Transmission.
- You should possess excellent communication skills and feel comfortable communicating with customers and within the organisation at all levels with the ability to present on a range of technical subjects. This will require the ability to form structured arguments with reasoned justification to influence and guide others. You should also possess the ability to write clear and well-structured technical reports and specifications, and provide focussed information for senior management. This role requires that you are organised and methodical with the ability to prioritise your workload against demanding targets and deadlines.
About our Business
SSEN Transmission owns and operates the electricity transmission network in the north of Scotland, transporting energy from where it is generated to where it is needed, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. Home to some of the UK's greatest resources of renewable energy, SSEN Transmission is playing a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future, developing, building, maintaining and operating a network for net zero.
Life at SSE
If you're considering a career with us, you're probably wondering what's in it for you? From health and wellness to finances and family, we're proud of our benefits package which includes 34 days holiday (plus the option to buy additional days), enhanced maternity and paternity leave, discounted healthcare and a wide range of offers via our SSE Advantage scheme.
At SSE we're proud to celebrate difference. We all have different skills, experience and backgrounds and we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture where you can be yourself. We take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it'.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application and assessment process, and upon joining SSE.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact email@example.com or 01738 342871.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal record and credit check.
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?