SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, our SSE Renewables (SSER) business continues to be at the forefront of our growth plans, and our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come. We are proud to be playing a critical role in the net zero transition, as we aim to more than treble the net capacity in operation to 13GW and grow renewable energy output five-fold to over 50TWh over the next 10 years.
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible UK, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our key UK sites, which includes but is not limited to:- Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Reading and Havant.
Salary: £44,100 - £66,100 depending on skills and experience + car / allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available. This role might require occasional international travel to our sites located in France, Spain, Italy, or Greece.
As SCADA Design Engineer, you will provide technical expertise within SSE Renewables Engineering Control Systems team, working on Onshore Renewable energy projects. Working closely with the Technical Authority and project teams, you'll be responsible for leading and coordinating the Control System and SCADA design, overseeing the complete system integration from feasibility to project handover. You will also be accountable for driving Value and Innovation for the Controls Engineering team, identifying and implementing new technologies and best practices which reduce costs and/or improve performance of assets.
Some of your other main accountabilities will include:
- Working with other engineering disciplines such as Civil, Mechanical and Electrical for coordination of works.
- Drafting Employers Requirement Specifications for the Control System and support the project team during the supplier selection process.
- Reviewing supplier documentation for compliance with SSE's technical standards.
- Attending various Factory Acceptance Tests and Site Acceptance Tests for the Control System and SCADA equipment.
- Designing and configuring PLC based Control Systems, SCADA platforms and the associated network architectures.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- A good understanding of the development and construction phases of Renewable Energy projects.
- Experience in the design of PLC based control systems including hardware/panel design as well as software logic and database configuration using standardised control programming languages.
- Knowledge of Ethernet and serial based communication protocols, such as Modbus, DNP3, OPC, ODBC, IEC 60870-5-104 and IEC61850.
- An understanding of OT Cyber Security industry standards and current best practices such as IEC62443.
- Previous experience working with any of the major WTG SCADA systems or other Renewable Energy Control Systems is desirable.
- An innovative mind-set and a flexible approach, along with excellent communication skills that allow you to engage effectively with varying levels of stakeholders across the business and beyond.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome. If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Pamela on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01738 342002.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.