About the Role
Base Location: Contin (Inverness), Perth, Clunie Power Station (Pitlochry)
Salary: £51,125 – £62,405 depending on skills and experience + car / allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
We are privileged to be responsible for sustaining and growing SSE Renewables business and we are recruiting a key position in the Hydro Assets - Programmes team to drive forward this objective through the diligent development and delivery of Hydro Power station refurbishment projects at key operational assets. This is an exceptional and unique opportunity to contribute to the future success of the Hydro business in a rewarding environment.
As Mechanical Engineer, you'll take on a role as a lead technical engineer in Large Capital Projects, coordinating the combined engineering efforts of the team to meet the project objectives, ensuring smooth integration of the final solution across the disciplines.
Some of your main accountabilities will include;
- Working across multiple Hydro projects. You will be expected to plan, organise and co-ordinate contract delivery and technical specifications, ensuring completion to budget and schedule. Works can include complex schemes with multi-party interfaces over multiple years and a proven capability is essential.
- Lead on the development and delivery for mechanical discipline. Develop, Review, and refine initial concepts, working towards an integrated design that generates value through improved safety and operational efficiency improvements across all disciplines.
- Leading in Mechanical discipline you will ensure consistency of approach developing standards where appropriate to ensure efficiency of delivery and future operation of hydro plant across the fleet. You will lead on the design integration with other technical disciplines in the Large Capital Projects you are assigned to, identifying, and managing key interfaces between disciplines.
- Optimizing designs to minimise interventions impacting plant availability, maximising value. Risk assessment and establishing control measures across a broad spectrum of potential scenarios and the capacity to manage risk mitigations is essential.
- Supporting the project manager in the development and delivery of future work scopes and budgets, you will have experience in financial management and control during works with clear and accurate reporting of complex multiyear works.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Qualified to degree level in a Mechanical discipline, or alternatively to HNC level with significant demonstrable experience in large industrial projects environments.
- Experienced in the Hydro or broadly the power industry operational environment and knowledge of appropriate British standards is essential.
- Demonstrable experience of managing the interfaces between mechanical, Controls and Instrumentation, Civil and Electrical disciplines.
- Knowledge of Safe systems of work in this type of environment is a benefit.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to successfully lead small teams of engineers without direct line responsibility.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Pamela on email@example.com or 01738 342002.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.