SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, our SSE Renewables (SSER) business continues to be at the forefront of our growth plans, and our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come. We are proud to be playing a critical role in the net zero transition, as we aim to more than treble the net capacity in operation to 13GW and grow renewable energy output five-fold to over 50TWh over the next 10 years.
About the Role
Base Location: Clunie Power Station
Salary: SS08 £47,872 - £55,653 depending on skills and experience + car / allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
We are privileged to be responsible for sustaining and growing SSE Renewables business and we are recruiting a key position in the Hydro Assets - Programmes team to drive forward this objective through the diligent development and delivery of Hydro Power station refurbishment projects at key operational assets. This is an exceptional and unique opportunity to contribute to the future success of the Hydro business in a rewarding environment.
As Mechanical Engineer, you’ll take on a role as a discipline technical engineer in Large Capital Projects, operating as part of a team of discipline engineers developing solutions and delivering work scopes to meet the project objectives.
Your main responsibilities will include;
- Contract management of Hydro Projects, including planning, organising and executing the delivery of design, services and works contracts, ensuring completion in line with quality, budget and schedule.
- Develop, Review, and refine initial concepts, working (as part of a team) towards an integrated design that generates value through improved safety and operational efficiency.
- Delivering in the Mechanical discipline you input to the development of standards where appropriate, identifying, and assisting the management of key interfaces between disciplines.
- Optimizing designs through risk assessment to ensure operator safety and minimise interventions impacting plant availability maximising value.
- Supporting the project manager in the development and delivery of project work scopes and budgets, financial management and control of complex multiyear works within your discipline.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- A degree level qualification in a Mechanical discipline, or alternatively to HNC level with demonstrable experience in large industrial projects environments.
- Experienced in the Hydro, or more broadly, the power industry operational environment.
- Demonstrable experience of managing work scopes and contracts in a mechanical discipline.
- Knowledge of Safe systems of work in this type of environment is a benefit.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to integrate into small teams of engineers is essential.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 01738 342002.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.