About the Role
Base Location: Flexible UK | We're proud to offer a Flexible First approach to work, and this role is no exception. We will, however need your base 'home' location to be one of our SSE offices around the UK.
Salary: £Competitive depending on skills and experience + car/cash allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
As a Grid Manager working within the onshore Grid team, you’ll be responsible for managing Grid related issues and opportunities for SSER’s portfolio of onshore development projects and operational assets, helping to integrate ever higher volumes of renewable energy into the grid. This will encompass onshore wind and hydro generation within GB, Ireland and beyond, as well as the development and operation of other technologies including battery energy storage systems and green hydrogen production.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Manage all aspects of the grid connection process across a portfolio of projects.
- Working closely with SSER Development and Construction teams and managing the interface and relationship with the ESOs and TOs to deliver grid connections in the timescales required by projects.
- Interpreting Grid Code requirements and achieving and maintaining Grid Code compliance, including Grid Code testing and performance monitoring.
- Producing grid connection feasibility studies and grid plans and assisting the development and delivery of the grid connection strategy for onshore wind, hydro and other technologies, including the identification of ancillary and system services opportunities.
- Undertaking due diligence of Grid contracts in support of project acquisitions.
- Keeping abreast of industry developments, understanding and anticipating future needs of the GB Electricity System Operator and cultivating good working relationships with key staff within the GB System Operator and wider industry and representing SSE Renewables on key industry panels.
- Managing a small team of grid engineers.
What do I need?
To be successful in this role, we would love you to have:
- Excellent technical knowledge and experience within the power generation industry.
- Strong technical knowledge of electricity transmission systems, their operation and current/future challenges.
- A solid understanding of appropriate engineering legislation and industry good practice.
- Good report writing and interpersonal skills.
- Effective organisation capabilities with the ability to deliver quality work to the agreed timescales
- Strong commercial awareness with an understanding of the implications of engineering activities and decisions.
- The ability to interpret and act as technical authority on the requirements of relevant standards and codes such as the GB Grid Code, the CUSC and the EirGrid Grid Code.
- Although flexible on base location, you will be required to travel as and when is required by the work being undertaken, sometimes to remote locations.
- A full and valid UK driving license is essential.
About our Business
SSE Renewables is a leading developer and operator of renewable energy, with growth ambitions to treble our renewable energy output by 2030. We drive new growth by identifying, developing, building and operating high quality assets across the UK, Ireland and internationally. As our ambitions and projects grow, so do our teams, meaning we can offer a great selection of opportunities, training and development to support your career.
What’s in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 01738 342002.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?