About the Role
Base Location: Flexible, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our key UK or Ireland sites, which includes but is not limited to:- Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Reading, Havant, London or Dublin
Salary: £competitive + car / allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Fixed Term Contract | Full Time | Flexible First options available
What is the Role?
The Regulation Manager has responsibility for providing regulatory advice to two Business Units - SSE Thermal and Energy Portfolio Management and helping to develop and maintain SSE's relationship with its regulators through effective external engagement activity.
SSE Thermal develops and operates conventional thermal generation assets in GB and Ireland and is developing a pipeline of flexible low carbon generation (including CCUS and hydrogen projects) which will be a key part of the UK's ambitious aim to meet Net Zero in the power sector by 2035. EPM provides the route to market for all of SSE's businesses that trade in the wholesale market – as well as our home markets of GB and Ireland, EPM is expanding to trade in more international markets to support the international growth of SSE Renewables.
- You will contribute to the strategic direction of SSE Thermal and EPM by providing regulatory advice to the teams responsible for all of our wholesale trading activities, operating our existing portfolio of thermal generation assets and to projects developing a pipeline of low carbon flexible generation that will be critical to reaching net zero.
- You will develop and maintain SSE's relationship with its regulators through effective external engagement activity and work closely with regulatory bodies and other external stakeholders to fully understand and interpret regulatory and policy changes.
- The Regulation Manager will interpret and analyse data and policy documents, providing qualitative and quantitative evidence to inform our regulatory policy positions across a wide range of areas and will lead on relevant engagement with regulators and other stakeholders via consultation responses, representation at industry forums and by proposing changes to regulatory frameworks, either on SSE's behalf or in collaboration with other industry participants.
- You will play an important role supporting SSE Thermal and SSE EPM to develop and deliver their ambitious strategies, working alongside the subject matter experts in each business to provide clear guidance on regulatory risks and opportunities.
- The penalties of non-compliance in these markets are high, therefore the Regulation Manager plays a key role in helping to identify, influence and prioritise high value and/or high risk issues for SSE Thermal and EPM. They will provide guidance and advice on areas such as regulatory compliance, investigations, reporting and the potential impact of non-compliance.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Knowledge and understanding of conventional thermal and low carbon businesses, of wholesale energy markets and trading.
- Excellent communication skills, in particular the ability to outline complex issues in a straightforward and succinct way.
- Able to work with, collaborate and influence multiple business and specialist stakeholders – internal and external, including experience of dealing with regulators or government agencies in the energy sector.
- An enquiring mind, confident at using data and other evidence to support regulatory policy development and the provision of regulatory advice.
- Degree level qualification with relevant experience or further training.
About our Business
Our SSE Markets Regulation and Group Compliance function is accountable for providing specific legislative, regulatory, industry code and market arrangements' advice and guidance tailored to the businesses. We provide subject matter expertise and support to the management of SSE's relationships with external regulatory stakeholders, such as Ofgem.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Kimberlee on Kimberlee.email@example.com / +44 1738 341523.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.