Base Location: Egham or Gravesend
Salary: Competitive + company car/cash allowance + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | with flexible working options available
What is the Role?
We’re seeking an experienced and highly knowledgeable Quantity Surveyor to join our Smart Buildings, Major Projects and End-User Building Management Systems (BMS) Projects which are part of the SSE Distributed Energy (DE) business.
The Quantity Surveyor reports into the Head of Commercial and is a key and valued member of the Commercial team. You’ll be assigned a business unit/area to work within and are responsible for the end to end quantity surveying functions on the BMS projects we deliver to our customers.
The key purpose of this position will be to support the Head of Commercial and Regional Business Unit Managers in providing commercial support within the region for BMS works.
You’ll have a thorough understanding of how to deliver on the obligations contained within our contracts and thereby robustly secure our best possible entitlements as a consequence. You will be responsible for developing and maintaining excellent relationships with our contracting client’s delivery teams/QS’s such that you are able to understand their pain points and work with them to find solutions.
As a result, your relationships within the MEP sector will naturally assist our sales and bid teams develop and win future work/projects.
You’ll partner our Project management teams to assist them in the delivery of our projects and provide the best analysis and solutions for a great project delivery.
You’ll numerous of BMS projects (circa 15 at any time), therefore it’s key that you’re able to use your analytical skills to effectively manage your time. Certain projects will require you to develop the specific commercial strategy such that we secure the best outcomes.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining dialogue with relevant operational management to have a continual understanding as to contract administration status of specified projects
- Ensuring that the internal reports of the projects are accurate in respect of risk, costs incurred, projection of costs to spend, contingency and liabilities, variations, claims, sub-contract management, sales declared and consequently profit declared
- Providing general advice, challenge and support on contractual matters, including; tender awards, subcontract negotiations, preparing and reviewing CVRs, settling final accounts, claims, variations, monthly P&L reviews, and budgeting & forecasting
- Ensuring entitlement to recovery of revenue, variations and costs are fully demonstrated and recovered in accordance with the contract, improving accuracy and robustness of Budgets & Forecasts
- Ensuring timely issue and receipt of Valuations, Applications, Payment Notices along with critical focus on WIP, Debt and Cash flow
- Supporting and maintain a collaborative working environment with external and internal customers and stakeholders and create a high performance culture in Project Delivery Teams that enables the business to meet and exceed both customer needs and business objectives
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Strong experience operating as a Quantity Surveyor within the BMS & Controls, Construction or Mechanical & Electrical industry
- Relevant professional qualification with experience of construction commercial contract management upstream and downstream with proven experience of contract commercial management in the industries outlined above
- Strong experience of the types of contract prevalent within our industry including JCT, NEC etc.
- Track record of delivering successful projects and demonstrable experience in managing multiple projects at any one time
- Excellent stakeholder management skills with the ability to communicate with stakeholders, customers and senior management where required
Due to the nature of the role, a full driving licence is required.
About our Business
SSE Enterprise Utilities is the Distributed Energy (DE) and Private Networks business of SSE plc. We finance, own, operate and maintain energy infrastructure for commercial, industrial and residential customers - providing them with a market leading project development service and certainty of operational performance and asset management.
Life at SSE
If you’re considering a career with us, you’re probably wondering what’s in it for you? From health and wellness to finances and family, we’re proud of our benefits package which includes 34 days holiday (plus the option to buy additional days), enhanced maternity and paternity leave, discounted healthcare and a wide range of offers via our SSE Advantage scheme.:
At SSE we’re proud to celebrate difference. We all have different skills, experience and backgrounds and we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture where you can be yourself. We take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra ‘if it’s not safe, we don’t do it’.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application and assessment process, and upon joining SSE.
Read more about our inclusion and diversity commitments here.
All applications should be submitted online, it doesn’t take long.
If you would like a confidential informal discussion about this role before applying, to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require, please contact email@example.com / 01738 342298.
I'll let you know the outcome of your application after the closing date.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you’ll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?