We're proud to have been a Principal Partner for COP26, the UN Climate Change Conference, and are leading the way to provide the energy needed now, while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
To reach net zero by 2050, we're looking for people who can bring big ideas, new skills and innovative thinking to help us build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
So, join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
About the Role
Base Location: Perth, Glasgow, Dundee, Aberdeen or Inverness
Salary: Up to £61,175 + car/cash allowance + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
We are currently recruiting for a Protection and Control Asset Engineer who will have the following key responsibilities:
- Working closely with the Project Delivery and Operational Teams, you will deliver value and contribute to the overall operational excellence of the business. This will require a practical approach combining effective and efficient technical advice and the accurate review and reporting of asset condition from which you will be required to undertake thorough and detailed interpretation and analysis before making recommendation on the need for intervention.
- Provide a continuous overview and review of all applied Transmission protection settings taking account of dynamic changes to the system from new connections and embedded generation and maintain/update protection and control asset/settings database.
- Assist on post fault interrogation of system monitoring equipment to provide analysis of fault location/values, and protection performance, identifying any rectification/improvement measures.
- Assist in the design and delivery of operational and asset health assessment, with specific responsibility for Transmission protection schemes and relays, substation control and data acquisition (SCADA) and communications assets.
- You will be required to communicate the results of such assessments effectively to various stakeholders and assist in developing work plans including the design of repair/modification/replacement works, cost estimating and programming., as well as being integral in delivery the smart monitoring program and systems for SHE Transmission in RIIO T2.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Significant experience in asset management influencing design, construction or operation & maintenance of power system protection, smart monitoring, SCADA and communications, and ideally educated to degree level in a relevant Engineering subject.
- You have worked within multi-discipline environments and led development and reviews of protection and control design, including calculation and application of relay settings and configuration at all Transmission voltage levels based on current and dynamic fault levels, including management of the settings within a protection and control asset database.
- Experience in fault analysis and post fault investigative studies and reporting.
- You will have an understanding of electricity system legislation, design and operational medium and high voltage standards, and will have experience relating to asset integrity, risk and the performance of protection and control assets across the 132kV, 275kV and 400kV Transmission network.
- You will display excellent communication and interpersonal skills and possess an innovative mind set, with a flexible approach.
Furthermore, you'll have the capacity to deliver high quality work on a consistent basis in a demanding environment.
About our Business
SSEN Transmission owns and operates the electricity transmission network in the north of Scotland, transporting energy from where it is generated to where it is needed, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. Home to some of the UK's greatest resources of renewable energy, SSEN Transmission is playing a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future, developing, building, maintaining and operating a network for net zero.
Life at SSE
If you're considering a career with us, you're probably wondering what's in it for you? From health and wellness to finances and family, we're proud of our benefits package which includes 34 days holiday (plus the option to buy additional days), enhanced maternity and paternity leave, discounted healthcare and a wide range of offers via our SSE Advantage scheme.
At SSE we're proud to celebrate difference. We all have different skills, experience and backgrounds and we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture where you can be yourself. We take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it'.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application and assessment process, and upon joining SSE.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact email@example.com / 01738 342939.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?