Base Location: Inverness, Aberdeen, Glasgow or Perth
Salary: £53,000 - £79,000 + car/cash allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible working options available
What is the Role?
The Operational Safety Manager will have the following key responsibilities:
- Take the lead for all aspects of operational safety and training and take counsel from the Head of SHE to ensure consistency across the Transmission business regarding the development, implementation, communication, coordination, and governance of all operational safety matters.
- The Operational Safety Manager will lead the strategic development and continual improvement of the Operational Safety Rules and associated Approved Procedures within Transmission and provide guidance to ensure safety from the system when accessing, operating and maintaining the transmission network.
- Effectively engage with stakeholders to deliver process safety documentation that defines the Operational Safety Rules for the safe operation of the network.
- You will manage the Transmission operational training facility and oversee the training and authorisation of staff and contractor partners to enable them to safely work on or near the Transmission network. This will require close coordination with other parts of the SSE group and external organisations to ensure the delivery and maintenance of our Quality Management System on operational training.
- The role may occasionally require a significant amount of travel for customer and stakeholder engagement and attendance at company and industry meetings. The Operational Safety Manager will be the conscience of the Transmission business on all aspects of operational safety, and along with direct line reports, provide training, support, advice, guidance and governance on compliance with the Operational Safety Rules
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Extensive knowledge of operational activities (overhead, underground and substation) on transmission networks or similar. Experience of the roles and responsibilities of authorised persons, safe systems of work, requirements for training, coupled with extensive understanding of electrical theory relating to operational safety rules and the management of network operations. Experience drafting clear, unambiguous technical documentation is also expected.
- Degree level or equivalent in Electrical Engineering or related discipline with continuing professional development or appropriate proven knowledge and experience. You are likely to be have been a Senior Authorised Person or held some level of network authorisation.
- Detailed knowledge of qualitative and quantitative risk assessments techniques including demonstrable experience of the application of ALARP risk assessment in relation to network operations
- Trained and experienced in incident investigation and experienced in providing advice, support and guidance to permit SSE project/ operational teams and contract partners to be best placed to manage Operational Safety risk
- Working with SHE Management System policies and strategies within an asset intensive engineering environment including knowledge of SHE regulations in the UK.
About our Business
SSEN Transmission owns and operates the electricity transmission network in the north of Scotland, transporting energy from where it is generated to where it is needed, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. Home to some of the UK's greatest resources of renewable energy, SSEN Transmission is playing a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future, developing, building, maintaining and operating a network for net zero.
Life at SSE
If you're considering a career with us, you're probably wondering what's in it for you? From health and wellness to finances and family, we're proud of our benefits package which includes 34 days holiday (plus the option to buy additional days), enhanced maternity and paternity leave, discounted healthcare and a wide range of offers via our SSE Advantage scheme.
At SSE we're proud to celebrate difference. We all have different skills, experience and backgrounds and we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture where you can be yourself. We take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it'.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application and assessment process, and upon joining SSE.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 01738 342939.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?