Base Location: Leeds, Glasgow, Dublin
Salary: £39,400 to £59,000, depending on experience + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
The Low Carbon Technology team has a unique role to play within SSE Thermal in delivering flexible and efficient assets, while seeking new low-carbon opportunities through emerging technologies. We ensure SSE Thermal is an informed developer and operator of low carbon thermal generation plant and other technologies that will provide the flexibility the UK energy system requires as it transitions to Net Zero, including CCS, hydrogen and energy storage. The team provide specific technology expertise and coordinate wider Engineering & Innovation Centre technical expertise to ensure robust assessment of technologies and design options are undertaken, design risk is mitigated, and project business case requirements are fulfilled.
The Low Carbon Technology Engineer supports the Lead Design Engineer on low carbon projects, with a specific focus on Hydrogen related projects, to ensure the technologies and design options selected will deliver the project requirements and that technical and SHE risk are well understood and mitigated. The role also provides insight to the Business Development and Strategy teams to support SSE Thermal's involvement within UK Low Carbon Clusters and the development of new projects.
Key responsibilities include:
- Supporting design development activities of low carbon thermal projects, particularly hydrogen related projects but the role may also involve other low carbon technologies, e.g. CCS, energy storage. In early project phases this includes Technical Requirements, Technology Assessments, Optioneering, Site Feasibility, Hazard Studies, and Concept Design. In the latter phases of projects support is provided to Design Refinement, Verification and Validation and Lessons learned.
- Support to the development of Techno-Economic studies and Business Opportunity Reports to initiate new project developments related to low carbon technologies.
- Delivery of technical insight and work packages to Business Development and Strategy teams to support the early stage project developments and SSE Thermal external engagements.
- Management of Research and Development projects to compliment the SSE Thermal Low Carbon Pathway and Energy Storage strategy.
- Management of knowledge related to low carbon technologies and communication to appropriate internal stakeholders.
What do I need?
To be successful we would love for you to have;
- Experience in the energy sector or relevant industry in an engineering role with an appreciation of the opportunities/challenges of achieving the Net Zero objective.
- Application of technical knowledge to assess technologies and applications, particularly hydrogen related power generation technologies and associated systems.
- Application of relevant design development principles to projects to ensure technical requirements are well defined and achieved to meet the project business case.
- Effective planning skills and ability to co-ordinate multi-discipline teams to deliver service excellence to customers by meeting quality, cost and schedule objectives.
- Appraisal of the implications of engineering activities and decisions on the commercial context and SHE related aspects.
It is expected that all engineers within the Engineering Centre will aspire to achieving Chartered Engineer status with a relevant institution and Engineering Council.
About our Business
In SSE Thermal, we're responsible for SSE's flexible generation, energy-from-waste and energy storage activities, with over 600 direct employees across the UK and Ireland. We are currently constructing the 840MW Keadby 2 CCGT in North Lincolnshire, which is expected to become the cleanest and most efficient gas-fired power station in Europe when completed in 2022. As part of our commitment to achieving net zero carbon emissions, we have a core focus on decarbonising our fleet through carbon capture and storage (CCS) and hydrogen technology. We are actively developing projects in the Humber and Scotland, which could become the UK's first CCS-equipped power stations, while also exploring exciting opportunities in low-carbon hydrogen production, generation and storage.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Jim on James.Walker2@sse.com / 01738 341514.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.