Base Location: Flexible Scotland | We're proud to offer a Flexible First approach to work, and this role is no exception. We will however need your base 'home' location to be one of our key Scottish offices which includes Perth, Inverness, Glasgow, Edinburgh or Aberdeen.
Salary: Circa £62,000 dependant on experience, performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible working options available
What is the Role?
We are looking to recruit a Legal Manager (Environmental and Consents) with a pragmatic and commercial legal focus to join our well established Transmission legal Team. SSEN Transmission plays a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future as it develops, builds, maintains and operates a Network for Net Zero. This is a great opportunity for you to develop your career in this high profile and rapidly evolving sector
This role is in the SSEN Transmission Legal Team supporting the SSEN Transmission business that owns and maintains the electricity transmission network in its licence area with its first priority being the provision of a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. As the way we live our lives changes, SSEN Transmission is delivering billions of pounds of investment that is required to meet the low carbon energy demands now and in the future. Through a fair, balanced and considered investment programme, SSEN Transmission is committed to improving network reliability and enabling the transition to Net Zero.
- You will work with colleagues across the business including the planning, environment and marine team, the land team, regulation, project delivery, asset management and operations whilst advising on a variety of consenting matters.
- You will be involved in engagement activities with stakeholders, including our regulator and in the development and delivery of strategic infrastructure projects.
- You will provide proactive and pragmatic legal advice on a range of legal, consenting, regulatory and operational issues and ensure legal risks are understood and managed.
- You will be expected to lead by example and assist in managing the work of the team and use your expertise to support the development of others. We are committed to developing all our people and you will have the opportunity to do so within a diverse and fast growing business.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role you will require the following;
- A qualified solicitor in Scotland or England and Wales with relevant PQE of around 5 years or more.
- You should have the ability to work on your own and within a team with and have experience in the supervision or management of lawyers or paralegals and/or have the desire and commitment to further the learning and development of others.
- Strong negotiation, drafting, communication and interpersonal skills and a desire to work in-house as part of a key business support function are essential for this role.
- An ability to build strong working relations with Clients, stakeholders, external Legal Counsel and the wider SSE Legal team.
- Familiarity with the consenting regime for electricity developments in Scotland
Periodic travel between our offices throughout the UK is expected. .
About the Department
Our in-house Legal function operates across the SSE Group to ensure business actions and behaviours are aligned to business priorities, are legally sound, and reinforce a culture of integrity, quality, responsibility and ethical behaviour. We identify and rationalise legal risk, providing advice on both regulatory and statutory obligations, all whilst helping the business to achieve their strategic goals.
Life at SSE
If you're considering a career with us, you're probably wondering what's in it for you? From health and wellness to finances and family, we're proud of our benefits package which includes 34 days holiday (plus the option to buy additional days), enhanced maternity and paternity leave, discounted healthcare and more.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for ‘Inclusion & Diversity at SSE’ to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact email@example.com.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?