About the Role
Base Location: Havant, Reading, Perth
Salary: £Competitive + Performance-related bonus + Car allowance + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | | Flexible First options available
What is the Role?
SSE require a Lead Cloud Engineer to provide technical leadership and support to the Cloud DevOps team, who deliver enabling change across the SSE cloud platform.
The Lead must also be able to work across a diverse group of stakeholders and manage priorities to maximise the value delivered by the team, partnering with Product Owners to optimize scheduling and turn-around of the team's backlog.
In partnership with the Enterprise and Cloud Architecture functions the Lead keeps the overall technical roadmap, architecture runway and foundation design for cloud in compliance with SSE standards and industry best practice.
Collectively that team supports and continually develops the platform to maintain currency, availability, and reliability on a secure foundation.
- Work with business stakeholders throughout the whole cloud lifecycle, providing comprehensive support to transform and modernise their application portfolios.
- Act as a trusted advisor and bridge between the cloud team and stakeholders, and so must be able to provide regular progress updates and flag any issues accordingly.
- Support stakeholders to adopt and leverage the latest software development methods; delivering effective DevOps practices that accommodate the latest security and software lifecycle patterns.
- Provide leadership, coaching and development for the immediate team and act as an evangelist within the organisation for engineering practices.
- Partner with Product owners and management to manage and clearly article demand planning and delivery against the projected backlog and book of work.
- Identify and progress opportunities to drive continuous improvement across engineering, delivery, and operational practices.
Skills & Experience Required:
- End to end understanding of cloud systems architecture and design.
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of end to end product lifecycle, as well as how technical systems work and interact.
- Strong analytical skills and a solid understanding of operational support procedures.
- Background in Cloud or DevOps Engineering.
- In-Depth knowledge and experience of Microsoft Azure.
- In depth knowledge to Infrastructure as Code (IaC) such as Terraform or Azure Resource Management templates.
- Tangible experience of solution prominent in the DevOps toolchain i.e. Jenkins, GitHub, Argo.
- Exposure to Configuration Management Solutions such as Ansible, Puppet or Chef.
- Practical use and understanding of scripting languages such as Python or Go.
- Knowledge of operating system fundamentals including diagnostics, tuning and monitoring of IO, Networks, CPU and Memory.
About our Business
SSE IT underpins the technology needs of all the different businesses that make up the SSE group. From emerging technologies to data and analytics to cyber security - we power SSE's growth and enable it to generate value, while keeping it secure. As a trusted business partner that helps SSE lead in a low carbon world, we are proud of our service. Working for SSE IT is all about equipping SSE for now and the future.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact David on David.Brickell@sse.com / 01738 275846.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.