SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
Base Location: Dublin
Salary: circa €60,000 depending on skills and experience + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible working options available
What is the Role?
An exciting opportunity has arisen within the Energy Customer Solutions business of SSE for a Financial Accountant. The role will be focused around supporting the Finance Manager in providing timely and effective support to both the Airtricity and Business Energy business within the Business Energy and SSE Customer Energy Solutions management team, in the areas of Indirect costs and Debt portfolio. The role will be responsible for the processing of month end in a timely manner, assisting in budgeting & forecasting activities, preparing detailed variance analysis on a monthly basis using strong knowledge of the business and industry to identify key trends, KPI reporting and balance sheet control account reconciliations.
What is the Role?
As Project & IT Accountant, you will support all aspects of Project and Programme delivery from Business Case evaluation to project closure and post implementation review, ensuring strong project controls and assessment of Business Benefits throughout. In addition, you will be responsible for the IT Operational costs.
This is a varied role with key responsibilities including;
- Supporting Business Case evaluation, liaising with Finance to confirm accounting treatment, highlight and evaluate impacts on existing assets, reviewing cost and benefits projections, supporting the required updates to the financial planning process.
- Supporting project set-up, and cost control framework for effective tracking of costs throughout project and programme delivery. Ensure all internal and external costs are reflected in Oracle Project Accounting as they are committed and incurred.
- During delivery, supporting Project and Programme Managers with regular assessment of actual and committed costs, internal and external changes, supporting regular evaluation of the remaining forecast spend and total cost out-turn.
- Supporting assessment of all early warning indicators of cost overruns versus the approved budget, support Project and Programme Managers with identification of remedial actions to reduce costs and escalation of matters of concern to the PMO and Programme Board.
- Supporting effective month-end reporting of actual performance versus the fiscal year budget, working with the Project and Programme Managers to provide insightful analysis of variances and changes to timing of spend.
- Supporting Project & Programme Managers with regular assessment of Project and Programme benefits case throughout project delivery, providing updates to the financial planning cycle.
- Ensuring all Project and Programme changes are highlighted and approved in accordance with the Energy Customer Solutions and SSE Group IT Governance framework.
- Preparation of the IT annual operational cost budget, working with the IT Director to ensure costs are robust and dynamic and reflective of changing IT environment. Analyse variance to budget on a monthly basis and ensure changes are understood and reflected through forecasts.
What do I need?
To be successful you will have a strong background in Project Controls within a project delivery framework and experience of effective project controls and project cost accounting for large IT transformation programmes in a large organisation.
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Qualified accountant with knowledge of project accounting processes.
- Understanding of Financial Control and Governance framework related to IT Projects & Programmes.
- Knowledge of Oracle Project Accounting Module (desirable).
- Experience of analysing and evaluating financial information.
- Ability to make a positive impact in a cross-functional environment.
- Ability to understand complex issues and communicate them in simple terms.
- A strong background of working with Project and Programme Managers to ensure effective cost controls.
About our Business
Our SSE Finance function has a key part to play in fulfilling SSE's obligations as a UK-listed company, providing expertise and services that can be shared across the SSE Group, and working in partnership with all businesses to provide services tailored to their specific needs. SSE operates in a highly regulated and increasingly competitive environment, and our role is to ensure that we gather, compile, analyse and recommend on the financial strategy for our businesses, identifying opportunities to drive efficiencies and create value for SSE now, and in the future.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Francesca on email@example.com / 01738 344763.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.