SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, our SSE Renewables (SSER) business continues to be at the forefront of our growth plans, and our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come. We are proud to be playing a critical role in the net zero transition, as we aim to more than treble the net capacity in operation to 13GW and grow renewable energy output five-fold to over 50TWh over the next 10 years.
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible Scotland, however our preference is that you will be based in the proximity of our Hydro assets in central and western Scotland, which includes but is not limited to:- Perth, Clunie Power Station, Sloy Power Station, Lochay Power Station
Salary: £40,658 - £49,626 depending on skills and experience + car allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
As Environmental Advisor for our Southern Hydro Generation fleet, you'll be responsible for ensuring that the maintenance and operation of our assets is undertaken in an environmentally compliant manner. You will also have the opportunity to support our ongoing programme of overhaul and refurbishment projects ensuring all environmental requirements and considerations are met as we move towards improving efficiency and delivering net zero ambitions to help fight climate change impacts.
Some of your main accountabilities will include;
- Providing expert advice and support to our operations team on environmental matters associated with our hydro assets, including the controls and mitigation of risks and, improvement of environmental performance.
- Engaging with a range of external stakeholders to maintain, develop and build mutually beneficial working relationships (statutory and local authorities, government agencies, NGO's etc)
- Engaging with operational staff to support them in undertaking their duties in an environmentally compliant manner and applying a pragmatic approach to resolving any challenges which may arise.
- Undertaking environmental site audits and inspections to help maintain standards of environmental performance across the operational business. Supporting the maintenance and management of our ISO 14001 accredited Environmental Management System (EMS).
- Supporting the development and implementation of the SSE Renewables Environment Strategy, with opportunities to lead and manage environmental restoration and improvement projects focussed on biodiversity net gain to contribute to wider SSER ambitions to be industry leading in this field.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- A demonstrable understanding of legislation, regulation and environmental risks associated with large scale operations in and around the water environment.
- Competency in recognising and evaluating potential or actual environmental impacts from operations or development projects and providing advice and support on the implementation of suitable controls and mitigation to minimise risks.
- A pragmatic, passionate and flexible approach to the environment and environmental management with the ability to learn and develop on the job, prioritise workload effectively and deliver high standards of work.
- Experience in fisheries management, aquatic and/or terrestrial ecology, hydrology, land management or biodiversity restoration projects would be beneficial, but not essential.
- A Degree level qualification in a relevant environmental related discipline, i.e., Environmental Management, Environmental Sciences or similar is desirable. However, other relevant qualifications or experience in the environmental sector, along with a desire to upskill and develop in the role will also be considered.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Pamela on Pamela.firstname.lastname@example.org or 01738 342002.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.