About the Role
Base Location: Perth, Glasgow, Edinburgh or Aberdeen. Other Scottish sites will be considered, however the expectation is that you will be in Perth c4-10 days per month, as required.
Salary: £72,500 - £108,700 + car allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
We have an exciting new opportunity available for a Head of Performance to join our Energy Portfolio Management business. EPM plays a key role in optimising trading and commercial positions across the SSE Group. The team makes over £20Bn of trades a year maximising value from SSE's Thermal and Flexible Hydro assets, managing risk around customer demand and wind, and targeting over £10m in additional benefits from EPM value-add activities.
This is a key strategic role for EPM where you'll develop, manage and measure the performance of the team on a huge number of KPIs and measures for different elements of the portfolio. These measures and KPIs span all of the SSE businesses and include metrics such as:- balancing mechanism performance, speculative trading performance, hedging performance, wind balancing performance, and contract optimisation. These metrics will drive the performance of the business and so the correct design and measurement of them is key to EPM's success. These metrics are sophisticated, therefore the ideal candidate will require deep knowledge of energy trading and markets to be effective.
Along with the above you'll be responsible for:-
- Design and evolution of metrics to drive EPM performance, both for it's own P&L and for the benefit of the different business units that EPM serves.
- Matching trading performance on key metrics back to the financial accounts, which is complex due to differences in reporting approaches between trading and accounting. Knowledge of accounting practices is therefore essential.
- Providing reporting on market and SSE pricing levels, to independently analyse market trends.
- Design of reports to drive performance across operational teams and succinctly inform management of performance against key objectives.
- Managing, developing and motivating a small but specialist team.
What do I need?
Critical to this role will be your deep and broad understanding of the energy markets (power, gas, carbon) and complex energy portfolios for customers, thermal assets, hydro and wind assets.
To be considered for the role, we'd love you to have:-
- Extensive knowledge of energy trading P&L reporting, energy risk management reporting and accounting practices relating to energy market P&L reporting.
- Commercial awareness, strong numeracy skills and the ability to identify and measure key performance metrics and relate these to reporting accounting P&L.
- Data analysis skills to process large amounts of complex data and convert these into easily understandable insights and metrics. This will include an ability to build complex models and interrogate various energy risk management platforms and accounting platforms.
- People management experience, with the ability to manage, motivate and inspire a high performing, inclusive and collaborative team.
- Personally, you'll be comfortable operating across all levels of the organisation and will be a persuasive influencer and collaborator who always treats others with respect and dignity even in the face of conflict.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Natalie on Natalie.Clark@sse.com or 01738 275615.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.