About the Role
Base Location: Flexible UK | We're proud to offer a Flexible First approach to work, and this role is no exception. We will, however need your base 'home' location to be one of our SSE offices within Cardiff, Reading or Perth.
Salary: Competitive + car / allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
What is the Role?
A great opportunity to help deliver Net Zero by shaping how SSE plays into the future energy market for our B2B customers. This role leads out on identifying and executing on commercial partnerships that are strategically aligned with our ambition of helping our customers on their journey to Net Zero.
As the Head of Development (GB) you will lead all of Energy Customer Solutions (ECS) work relating to non-core energy supply development within GB. As a key member of an ECS central function, you will provide an essential link between the Strategy and Business Development team, Business Energy (GB), and other SSE Business Units to contribute to effective planning and execution of ECS objectives. This role will be the lead for ensuring we can expand our wider energy solutions in GB for our B2B customer base (including cPPAs, and wider energy efficiency and demand management solutions).
As part of your role you will:
- Identify opportunities and partnerships to build long term value for ECS, you will lead the evaluation of potential business opportunities through competitive, financial, market and performance analysis, and strategic alignment.
- Responsible for shaping and ensuring delivery of ECS' GB Corporate PPA ambition, including co-ordinating and aligning a cross business effort in developing the Corporate PPA proposition and executing CPPAs in GB, from product and commercial creation and negotiation to final execution in line with agreed targets.
- Lead the building of plans for market entry into new other non-core but energy adjacent opportunities including the development of commercial structures for market entry.
- Develop and maintain the key internal relationships between the Development team and the teams within ECS, as well as across the SSE Group, which are required to develop and deliver opportunities in GB.
- Identify, complete initial due diligence on, and co-ordinate contracting with third party partners required to deliver opportunities.
- Advise and bring proposals to the Business Energy SLT and ECS Customer ExCo on business development opportunities along with representing ECS on external bodies and act as a main spokesperson at ECS at external events and conferences.
- Lead a small professional team providing effective and constantly improving services and advice to ECS.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Extensive experience working within a similar role with great knowledge of the energy markets, commercial drivers and public policy levers across GB.
- Leadership experience and ability to work in a matrix organisation.
- Demonstratable experience of both internal and external stakeholder engagement.
- Creative and innovative thinking and execution of same.
- Ability to translate complex and technical information to a wide range of audiences.
- Experience of taking business opportunities and scaling into profitable ventures.
About our Business
SSE is a multinational energy company listed on the FTSE 100, with a vision “to be a leading energy company in a net zero world”. We’re investing in £24bn+ by the end of the decade to help deliver our Net Zero Acceleration Programme. Part of SSE Plc, Energy Customer Solutions is the Customer facing division – providing energy and low carbon solutions to over 1.3million customers. We have a strong market position with great customer relationships and expert customer teams working in Belfast, Cardiff, Dublin, Perth, and Reading.
In Great Britain we operate under the brand SSE Energy Solutions providing energy and related energy solutions (EV, Solar, Smart, Heating & Cooling etc) to businesses of all sizes and public sector organisations across Great Britain. In Ireland – we operate under the brand SSE Airtricity providing energy and related energy solutions (Solar, EV etc) to homes, businesses including public sector organisations across the island of Ireland.
We have ambitious targets to help our customers on their journey to Net Zero by increasing the accessibility of green energy solutions through the provision of customer-driven propositions and we’re a partner to customers and stakeholders as they seek ways to respond to the climate crisis.
What’s in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for ‘Inclusion & Diversity at SSE’ to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Charlene Cotter on firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01738 342754.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.