SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, SSE Renewables (SSER) continues to be at the forefront of our growth plans, and our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come. SSER Renewables is positioned to play a critical role in delivering on that strategic ambition, with the goals of more than trebling net capacity in operation to 13GW and growing renewable energy output five-fold to over 50TWh over the next 10 years.
About the Role
Base Location: Germany
Salary: €Competitive + car allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
In this new and pivotal role you'll be working directly with the Director of Origination to identify, evaluate and deliver renewable generation business opportunities to grow our business in new, international markets that are consistent with our strategic goal of creating value in a sustainable way.
Using your well established in-country network, you'll proactively seek and develop opportunities (projects, bid rounds or acquisitions) in identified markets across all major renewable technologies to create a strong business development pipeline. This will involve evaluating projects from the pipeline to pursue, and cultivating strong relationships within the organisation to develop the opportunities into a presentable and viable project or acquisition, and then seeking approvals from the relevant executive committees.
In addition to the above your key accountabilities will include:-
- Originating and developing local and regional business opportunities that meet SSER investment criteria, and preparing the opportunity business case for Executive review and decision making.
- Creating and managing a priority and activity list of potential business opportunity targets, keeping this up-to-date and sharing key information with the Business Development team and stakeholders as appropriate.
- Developing and maintaining an extensive network of government and industry contacts in new markets that keeps the Business Development and Strategy teams informed on key potential business acquisition opportunities, policy changes and influencer activity.
- Continually review energy market reports on new markets, and prepare regular reports on market and competitor activity that may impact upon the priority list.
- Develop strong working relationships across both key external stakeholders and internal teams including strategy, engineering, financial, regulation, corporate comms and legal, with a focus on collaboration and developing strong team working skills to deliver projects.
- Assist with the preparation and presentation of papers to the SSE Renewables ExCo, Group ExCo and Board.
What do I need?
To be successful in this role, you will bring your experience in international business development within the energy market, and a deep knowledge of the processes required to achieve a successful renewable generation business case and project. You'll need to be flexible, adaptable and resilient, but most of all you'll need the passion and commitment to help us deliver on our ambitious net zero strategy.
In addition, we'd love you to have:-
- A well-developed network of in-country developers, decision makers and influencers and investors and, knowledge of international competitor and potential partner activity.
- You'll be well versed in creating, developing and securing large, hundred million pound investment deals through JV agreements, contract negotiations and partnerships.
- Deep understanding of the local renewables market (onshore and offshore), including necessary requirements to secure projects as well as an understanding of local policy drivers and growth potential.
- Strong commercial awareness, with well versed experience of financial investment an appraisal techniques, and the ability to analyse deals presented to decide what to pursue.
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication and relationship building skills with the confidence and credibility to present to senior audiences internally and externally.
- Influencing and negotiation skills, with the ability to broker negotiations between internal and external parties effectively.
What’s in it for you?
An competitive package with excellent benefits. You can view some of these on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for ‘Inclusion & Diversity at SSE’ to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Jenna.Jackson@sse.com / 01738 341390.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?