Base Location: Flexible across UK regions
Salary: Up to £49,300 depending on experience + Company Car/Cash Allowance + performance related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | with flexible working options available
What is the Role?
Due to further growth within our business area, we’re seeking an experienced cost estimator to provide expert cost analysis services for SSE Distributed Energy solar and battery projects with a focus on growing the business in the UK and supporting the proposition development process from end to end. This will include working closely with the development, procurement and solutions team, liaising with our supply chain, ensuring robust tender documentation is produced allowing accurate project estimates to be produced. All of this to the high standards expected from a leading brand.
Key responsibilities will also include:
- Supporting strategy, governance, policies and procedures of SSE Distributed Energy
- Completing take off's from drawings, reading and understanding specifications and associated tender documentation, sending enquiries and evaluating costs from wholesalers and sub-contractors
- Developing and building on existing processes to improve accuracy and robustness of cost models/plans, manage accurate estimates and bids for design and build projects, including large schemes to a level allowing commercial control of projects throughout their lifecycle
- Working with others as part of a bid team to co-ordinate and lead certain elements ensuring bid completion in accordance with required time constraints and standards
- Working with other members of the development teams to produce and review scope documents for issue to tenderers and reviewing tender returns
- Option appraisals and identifying and applying alternative solutions to enhance bid profitability and the delivery of value engineering and input into and development of risk registers
- Working closely with procurement to develop and enhance the existing supply chain for project delivery (EPC and Main Contractor level)
- Prioritise and manage your own workload, maintain accurate records with the objective of delivering supplier coordination to ensure accuracy, best value and competitiveness of estimate and accommodation of the supply chain critical path
What do I need?
To be considered, we’d love you to have:
- Excellent knowledge of Solar Generation and Battery Storage markets and their supply chain
- Experience of working for a client and/or main contractor to deliver solar and battery projects
- Good commercial acumen and experience of contractual requirements/exclusions and terms & conditions associated with these works
- An understanding of technical drawings and requirements associated with these works
- Experience of preparing accurate estimates of net costs for contract tender bids and breaking down tenders into their component parts to allow accurate comparison
Desirable experience –
- Design and build experience with the ability to evaluate design scope gaps on tenders
- An expert working knowledge of pricing and quantification methods in order to estimate from first principles
- An expert working knowledge to effectively develop supporting strategy, governance, policies, and procedures
- Experience and knowledge of NEC ECC contracts
About our Business
SSE Enterprise Utilities is the Distributed Energy (DE) and Private Networks business of SSE plc. We finance, own, operate and maintain energy infrastructure for commercial, industrial and residential customers - providing them with a market leading project development service and certainty of operational performance and asset management.
Life at SSE
If you’re considering a career with us, you’re probably wondering what’s in it for you? From health and wellness to finances and family, we’re proud of our benefits package which includes 34 days holiday (plus the option to buy additional days), enhanced maternity and paternity leave, discounted healthcare and a wide range of offers via our SSE Advantage scheme.:
At SSE we’re proud to celebrate difference. We all have different skills, experience and backgrounds and we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture where you can be yourself. We take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra ‘if it’s not safe, we don’t do it’.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application and assessment process, and upon joining SSE.
Read more about our inclusion and diversity commitments here.
All applications should be submitted online, it doesn’t take long.
To discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 01738 342 298.
I'll let you know the outcome of your application after the closing date.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you’ll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?