About the Role
Base Location: Flexible UK | We're proud to offer a Flexible First approach to work, and this role is no exception. We will, however need your base 'Home' location to be in Scotland, or Reading and regular travel to the Perth office will be required.
Salary: £ Attractive depending on skills and experience + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time or Part Time | Flexible First options available
Energy Economics act as an internal energy consultancy within SSE, providing independent advice and analysis to business units. As an Energy Economics Analyst, you will play a critical role in supporting the ambition of these business units as they optimise and expand our power generation and energy storage portfolio both in the UK and internationally. Working in a dynamic and intellectually stimulating environment, you will quickly enjoy responsibility and autonomy over your work. Through your robust analytical work and expert insights, you will quickly find yourself in a position to influence major business decisions within SSE.
Some of your main accountabilities will include:
- Modelling long-term European commodity price scenarios by populating, updating, and running pricing models, to produce investment scenarios be used across the SSE Group.
- Collecting and managing data and research on global energy and using this information to help the team form a long-term view of international energy commodity balances and prices.
- Tracking the outlooks of our external market advisors on international energy issues, critiquing and challenging their assumptions via discussions with the authors.
- Providing expert international energy market knowledge and insights to support our colleagues within Energy Economics as they appraise global renewable energy investment opportunities.
- Communicating the results of economic analysis to a range of stakeholders across SSE, up to and including senior management, through discussions, papers, and presentations.
What do I need?
To be successful in this role, we would love you to have;
- A minimum of a degree-level qualification in a relevant subject such as economics, science, engineering, or other numerate discipline.
- An enthusiasm and curiosity for research, and the ability to disseminate this research into actionable analysis and communicate findings in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to model the energy commodity markets or comparable sectors, strong Excel skills are essential.
- A keen interest in problem solving, particularly under uncertainty, accompanied with the willingness to take the initiative and ownership of work.
- The ability to think strategically and conceptualise long-term issues, particularly with regard to how the global energy system will evolve over the next 30 years.
About our Business
Energy Portfolio Management (EPM) is the energy markets heart of the SSE Group, securing value for SSE's asset portfolios in wholesale energy markets as we move towards our vision of being a leading energy company in a net zero world. We play a critical role as the short-term energy market asset optimiser, and a long-term energy market adviser, for all SSE's Business Units (across SSE's Wind, Hydro, Low Carbon Thermal, Distributed Energy and Customer portfolios). This role for EPM enables SSE to focus its investment in energy markets capabilities (including Trading, Risk Management, Energy Economics and Advanced Analytics) in one centre of excellence, with these enhanced capabilities supporting value creation and decision making across the SSE Group.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact email@example.com / 01738 342002.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.