Base Location: Bristol and Surrounding Areas
Salary: Competitive + company car/car allowance + bonus
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible working options available
About the Department
SSE Contracting is one of the UK's largest Mechanical and Electrical (M&E) contractors. Our portfolio of services ranges from M&E building services, Instrumentation, Rail, Street Lighting, Facilities management to HV & LV & Combined Heat and Power solutions.
This is an exciting time to be considering a career with us. We have recently entered into an acquisition agreement with Aurelius Group. As of 1st July 2021, we will step away from SSE Group.
This partnership heralds an exciting opportunity for further growth for our business. With a strong pipeline of infrastructure projects across the UK, our people are key to our continued success.
What is the Role?
SSE Enterprise Rail is the specialist rail division of the SSE Group with over 15 years' experience delivering projects to meet the growing demands of Britain's rail infrastructure with diverse experience in design, engineering, project, reactive and maintenance works across the UK's rail network.
As Project Engineer, you will be responsible for the planning and management of the delivery of allocated Rail projects making use of self-delivery teams and the specialist supply chain as appropriate.
Responsibilities & Duties will include:
- Managing the Health & Safety of our directly employed workforce and those of our subcontractors to comply with our client's policies and procedures and our internal policies and procedures.
- Completion of Construction Phase Plans, Works Package Plans and Task Briefings for projects and subcontract work packages (CPP/WPP&TB's)
- Managing directly employed operatives and specialist subcontractors to ensure they are complying with programme dates and periods allocated for the scope of work
- Liaising with manufacturers and suppliers, calling off plant, equipment and material to meet the programme and interfacing with the site logistics team to ensure deliveries arrive on-site on the agreed date and allocated time slot
- Ensure the works are carried out to comply with the construction drawings, specifications, equipment schedules and BS7671
- Liaise with central services including health and safety, planning and programming, procurement, quality assurance and human resources
- Managing the MEP Programme and report weekly progress to the regional manager/project manager and steps to be taken to address any slippage
- Hold weekly, fortnightly or monthly meetings with suppliers and subcontractors depending on the critical nature of their work and record actions
- Ensure good administration of the project using our Project FileRoom system, including the information flow to manufacturers, suppliers and subcontractors from the document controller
What do I need?
You will have a proven track record in successfully managing and delivering the electrical works packages within a Rail environment with a contract value of ranging from £50k to £750k.
It is desirable for you to hold a basic level of electrical engineering qualification with a minimum acceptable level of NVQ Level 3
Technically you will be fully conversant with all electrical installations including: switchgear, distribution cabling, circuit wiring, fixtures & fittings. You'll understand the importance of commissioning management from the design stage through to the completion of the works.
With strong leadership skills, you'll motivate and manage your team to ensure the project is delivered to client timescales and to the highest standard. As a team player, you'll be confident liaising at all levels of a large organisation, working with operations/commercial/procurement/IT/engineering to achieve set goals.
Additionally, you will be well organised with excellent IT skills and will have a positive approach to handling problems and resolving issues.
You'll be experienced in efficient use of Microsoft systems such as Outlook, word and excel
If you're considering a career with us, you're probably wondering what's in it for you? From health and wellness to finances and family, we're proud of our employees wide range of benefits.
We're proud to celebrate difference. We all have different skills, experience and backgrounds and we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture where you can be yourself. We take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it'.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application and assessment process, and upon joining us.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Laura.Dobson@sse.com.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?