We're proud to have been a Principal Partner for COP26, the UN Climate Change Conference, and are leading the way to provide the energy needed now, while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
To reach net zero by 2050, we're looking for people who can bring big ideas, new skills and innovative thinking to help us build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
So join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
Base Location: Slough or West London
Salary: £26,120 - £34,500 + London Allowance + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible working options available
What is the Role?
- In this role you'll be responsible for constructing electrical equipment on the electricity network up to 132kV network.
- You will ensure delivery of construction projects in line with agreed KPI's, including all plant and equipment both electrical and mechanical ensuring it is operating within designated limits. This will also include emergency response to fault scenarios and the subsequent reprioritisation of work loads. Co-ordinating with the Strategic Investment Engineers, you'll ensure maintenance is completed within outage windows and system is restored to normal as soon as possible.
- You'll assist the Construction team with switching out the network and restoration switching within authorisation level, including planning how, when and where all works will take place, coordinating outages to maximise efficiency and reduce disruption to the network.
- You'll act as an ambassador for Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks when interacting with external and internal customers, including National Grid and small scale power stations, to deliver world class customer service and protect the SSE brand. Investigating alternative ways of working to increase safety, reduce cost and drive efficiency, you'll encourage others to do so as well thereby promoting a culture of innovation.
- Safety is a key priority at SSE and throughout everything you do you will adhere to safety policies and procedures.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Knowledge of the electrical distribution network and experience of working with operational heavy currents, you'll ideally be experienced in 132kV or 33kV switching and issuing Limitations of Access but training will be given to the successful candidate if this is required. The ideal candidate will be assisted to achieve 132kV Permit to Work Authorisation.
- A high regard for safety with strong customer service skills.
- Excellent communication skills are essential to this role as we deal with customer related issues face to face daily, and good service allows us to achieve our broader measure requirements and targets.
- A clean driving licence and flexible approach to working hours and work location is a must.
About our Business
SSEN Distribution powers 3.8 million homes and businesses in communities across central southern England and the north of Scotland. Our team of more than 3,500 people keep customers connected to a safe and reliable supply of electricity whilst developing the flexible networks that are vital to achieving net zero. By enabling a smarter, more resilient electricity network we're ensuring our local communities continue to receive the power they need, both now and in the future. We are consistently investing and innovating to improve network resilience and future-proof power supplies for life's changing demands, from rolling out large scale EV charging schemes to supporting small community generation projects.
Life at SSE
If you're considering a career with us, you're probably wondering what's in it for you? From health and wellness to finances and family, we're proud of our benefits package which includes 34 days holiday (plus the option to buy additional days), enhanced maternity and paternity leave, discounted healthcare and a wide range of offers via our SSE Advantage scheme.
At SSE we're proud to celebrate difference. We all have different skills, experience and backgrounds and we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture where you can be yourself. We take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it'.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application and assessment process, and upon joining SSE.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Gerard.Doran@sse.com / 01738 344528.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?