Base Location: Reading or Havant, Perth, Edinburgh or Glasgow
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible working options available
What is the Role?
SSE Distributed Energy is transforming the way it delivers value from data in order to drive net-zero. We're working on implementing a number of platforms to help execute on that vision, looking at things like Smart Buildings and Smart Cities. We have a vacancy for a Data Engineer to build and operate data pipelines on AWS and Microsoft Azure to support exciting new analytics use cases.
The data engineer, which is an emerging role in SSE Distributed Energy data and analytics team, will play a pivotal role in operationalising the most-urgent data and analytics initiatives. Being a new role in the team, you'll shape best practice, tool selection and work collaboratively with data scientists and BI developers to set a roadmap and deliver value.
The bulk of the data engineer's work will be in building, managing and optimizing data pipelines, whilst working with our team to move these data pipelines (and additional models) effectively into production for key data and analytics consumers (for example business/data analysts, data scientists or any user that needs curated data for data and analytics use cases).
- Architect, create, improve and operationalise integrated and reusable data pipelines, whilst guaranteeing compliance with data governance and data security requirements
- Integrate analytics/data science results with business processes
- Implement effective data management practices and promote better understanding of data and analytics
- Data engineers will be expected to collaborate with data scientists, data analysts and other data consumers in order to optimize data flows, developed models and algorithms for data quality, security and governance, before putting them into production to unlock potentially large productivity gains
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Experience in AWS/Azure and data management experience e.g. data profiling, large volume data handling.
- Extensive experience of developing data pipelines, ideally using AWS/Azure analytics components and be familiar with DataBricks, SQL DB/DW, ETL tooling and Python.
- Fully conversant with Agile and DevOps development methodology and concepts as applied to data driven analytics projects. Including CI/CD Coding, security testing best practice and standards.
- Experience with designing, building, and operating analytics solutions using AWS/Azure cloud technologies and in automated data driven testing.
About our Business
SSE has a vision to help the UK towards achieving net zero carbon by changing from single energy assets to Whole System Thinking. It is here where Distributed Energy becomes key to delivering a low carbon world.
Why Whole System Thinking?
SSE's Distributed Energy Business aims to deliver solutions that bring together the diverse needs of all stakeholders into a single unified outcome that maximises both short and long-term benefits.
Decarbonisation - Stripping carbon out of the energy chain to deliver maximum impact comes under the direct control of the local generation asset owners, giving greater ability to dictate the pace of the sustainability agenda.
Decentralisation - Bringing energy generation and management closer to the point of use reduces dependence on national infrastructure, and puts energy resilience into the direct control of the energy user groups.
Digitalisation - Utilising digital technology to leverage information across all elements of the local energy infrastructure can help to achieve maximum effectiveness of energy use across multiple connected assets.
Democratisation - Bringing local energy ownership and participation to achieve a truly united energy transition. The Consumer is no longer just the recipient of energy but is enabled to feed electricity into the grid.
What’s in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for ‘Inclusion & Diversity at SSE’ to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact David.Brickell@sse.com / 01738 275846.
EXTERNAL: Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?