Base Location: Reading, other UK regions considered
Salary: Competitive + company car/cash allowance + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | with flexible working options available
What is the Role?
Our Distributed Energy business area has a number of openings for experienced Construction Managers (CM) to join our teams due to large growth plans for 2021 and beyond. We’re seeking Construction Managers across Heating and Cooling, Electric Vehicle (EV), Electric and Gas (E&G) and Distributed Generation & Storage (DG&S).
You’ll have responsibility and accountability for the line management, team structure, Safety Health and Wellbeing, compliance, programme delivery, commercial & cost control and quality management of the project portfolio under the team’s remit.
You’ll develop and deploy a strategy for the function, which ensures the successful delivery of a wide portfolio of projects. This strategy will encompass both the construction and operational aspects of project development as well as the execution of the construction programme. Ensuring that each project is reviewed and delivered in a robust manner within the integrity of the project team structure, construction framework partner requirements, optimum construction costs and associated programme.
You’ll also be responsible and accountable for the sector portfolio reporting and will be the client point of escalation for all matters related to the projects whilst in the construction phase of the asset lifecycle. The CM shall hold ultimate responsibility for achieving the defined successful outcome of each construction project within your business Sector.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Creating, driving and maintaining a positive engagement of SSE’s Safety, Health, Environment and Wellbeing (SHEW) culture throughout the team and into the portfolio of projects that are in the construction element of the asset lifecycle
- Interfacing directly with and report indirectly to Senior stakeholders up to Director level across the business and wider Group, and with external clients and stakeholders. They will operate within the wider business being prepared to challenge senior stakeholders where required and be a model for professional integrity and provide positive promotion of the Project Construction Management Team both within the DE Business and around the wider group
- Responsible for the construction delivery of large capital or customer projects within the relevant business sector (Heating and Cooling, Electric Vehicle (EV), Electric and Gas (E&G) and Distributed Generation & Storage (DG&S)
- Responsible for ensuring that all Construction Team Projects are managed in line the Commercial & Contractual requirements of the agreements that are in place with clients and subcontractors
- Responsible for the adjudication of construction costs, risk mitigation, operability and maintainability of infrastructure for opportunities of a value of typically £20m-£50m or greater (Cat 3) in pre gate 2 activity. Provide direction to Commercial Managers to develop and define contracts that support a level of risk acceptable to the business
- Be accountable for the developing and managing the construction portfolio of relevant projects finances effectively by; Ensuring that each project is accurately forecasted and financially reported, all project purchase orders are raised, and invoices receipted in line with SSE’s prompt payment policy. Be responsible for all project spend being managed in line with SSE Corporate process & procedures
- Maintain and develop technical expertise and knowledge in the area of technologies in excess of that of more junior team members relevant sector - Heating and Cooling, Electric Vehicle (EV), Electric and Gas (E&G) and Distributed Generation & Storage (DG&S)
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Industry recognised Project Management qualifications - PRINCE 2/ APMP Professional
- Demonstrable successful track record of delivering large, complex projects in excess of £30-50m TCV in the relevant Heating and Cooling, EV, E&G and DG&S arenas
- Extensive experience in enacting senior leadership roles in the delivery of complex projects in the energy industry
- Demonstrable experience of working under commercial contract frameworks such as NEC3/4 DOM2 etc.
- Health and safety – SMSTS / NEBOSH / IOSH accreditation
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to engage with partners, customers and key stakeholders at all levels
Due to the nature of the role, a full driving licence is required.
About our Business
SSE Enterprise Utilities is the Distributed Energy (DE) and Private Networks business of SSE plc. We finance, own, operate and maintain energy infrastructure for commercial, industrial and residential customers - providing them with a market leading project development service and certainty of operational performance and asset management.
Life at SSE
If you’re considering a career with us, you’re probably wondering what’s in it for you? From health and wellness to finances and family, we’re proud of our benefits package which includes 34 days holiday (plus the option to buy additional days), enhanced maternity and paternity leave, discounted healthcare and a wide range of offers via our SSE Advantage scheme.:
At SSE we’re proud to celebrate difference. We all have different skills, experience and backgrounds and we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture where you can be yourself. We take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra ‘if it’s not safe, we don’t do it’.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application and assessment process, and upon joining SSE.
Read more about our inclusion and diversity commitments here.
All applications should be submitted online, it doesn’t take long.
If you would like a confidential informal discussion about this role before applying, to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require, please contact email@example.com / 01738 342 298.
I'll let you know the outcome of your application after the closing date.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you’ll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?