Base Location: Flexible across UK regions
Salary: Competitive + company car/cash allowance + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | with flexible working options available
What is the Role?
As our Commercial Manager, you’ll support the Head of Commercial and Business Managers/Heads of Sector in providing commercial contract support pre and post contract, upstream and downstream. You’ll have a thorough understanding of how to deliver on the obligations contained within our contracts and thereby robustly secure our best possible entitlements as a consequence.
You’ll be assigned projects to work within where you’ll be responsible for the end to end commercial management of the projects we deliver to our customers.
In partnership with our Project management teams, you’ll assist them in the delivery of our projects and provide the best analysis and solutions for a great project delivery. Reducing and minimising risk will come easy to you as will maintaining and maximising profitability
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Supporting post contract activity, upstream and downstream, on complex, challenging and prestigious projects, for example; administering extension of time requests, applications processes, loss and expense claims, resolving disputes, closing final accounts and late debt resolution
- Supporting our sales and project delivery teams to meet customer requirements, manage delivery risks and ensure we deliver optimal commercial outcomes
- Drafting, negotiating, vetting and concluding commercial contracts and undertaking commercial risk reviews and record them in commercial reports
- Ensuring that the internal reports of the projects are accurate in respect of risk, costs incurred, projection of costs to spend, contingency and liabilities, variations, claims, sub-contract management, sales declared and consequently profit declared
- Provide general advice, challenge and support on contractual matters, including; tender awards, subcontract negotiations, preparing and reviewing CVRs, settling final accounts, claims, variations, monthly P&L reviews, and budgeting & forecasting
- Ensure entitlement to recovery of revenue, variations and costs are fully demonstrated and recovered in accordance with the contract
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Relevant professional qualification (LLB, MRICS, BSc QS, etc.) with working knowledge of construction law (be familiar with NEC, JCT, etc.)
- Extensive experience operating in a commercial contract management role within the Construction or Mechanical & Electrical industry, ideally with experience in supply chain and Project Management
- Excellent stakeholder engagement skills and the ability to communicate with different audiences and levels (from Managing Director and executive boards, to junior team members
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage a number of projects at any one time
- Tenacious, independent, decisive, proactive problem solver, taking ownership of allocated Projects with a flexible working approach
Due to the nature of the role, a full driving licence is required.
About our Business
SSE Enterprise Utilities is the Distributed Energy (DE) and Private Networks business of SSE plc. We finance, own, operate and maintain energy infrastructure for commercial, industrial and residential customers - providing them with a market leading project development service and certainty of operational performance and asset management.
Life at SSE
If you’re considering a career with us, you’re probably wondering what’s in it for you? From health and wellness to finances and family, we’re proud of our benefits package which includes 34 days holiday (plus the option to buy additional days), enhanced maternity and paternity leave, discounted healthcare and a wide range of offers via our SSE Advantage scheme.:
At SSE we’re proud to celebrate difference. We all have different skills, experience and backgrounds and we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture where you can be yourself. We take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra ‘if it’s not safe, we don’t do it’.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application and assessment process, and upon joining SSE.
Read more about our inclusion and diversity commitments here.
All applications should be submitted online, it doesn’t take long.
If you would like a confidential informal discussion about this role before applying, to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require, please contact email@example.com / 01738 342298.
I'll let you know the outcome of your application after the closing date.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you’ll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?