About our Business
SSE Thermal is on a mission to deliver the flexible energy needed today while powering the transition to net zero. Our 600+ employees play a crucial role in keeping the lights on across the UK and Ireland and we're rising to the low-carbon challenge with our teams at the cutting-edge of vital technologies. We're developing ground-breaking carbon capture and storage projects and progressing plans for what could be the world's first hydrogen-fired power station, as well as a major hydrogen storage facility and exploring other exciting options as we decarbonise. We've already achieved a lot - but we're just getting started. As part of SSE, which is investing £24bn this decade, we're at the forefront of the energy transition - so come join us as we continue to grow and power change.
To find out more, read this blog from Catherine Raw, our Managing Director, on our critical role in delivering net zero.
About the Role
Base Location: Medway Power Station, North Kent
Salary: £38,073 - £44,257 + performance related bonus + skills shortage allowance + retention bonus + paid overtime + a range of other benefits to support your family, and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Mon-Fri
Reporting to the Daywork Support Engineers, you will be part of a team of Maintenance Technicians responsible for maintaining Control & Instrumentation plant and equipment to high standards and best practice to ensure the plant availability and reliability is maximised. We are exploring options to decarbonise our energy generation at Medway through emerging CCS and hydrogen solutions to ensure the site can continue to provide essential flexible power in line with our net-zero goals.
- Delivering quality maintenance of plant and equipment to minimise repeat defects and maximise availability and reliability throughout the Station.
- Maintain high standards of Safety within the Maintenance Department and contractors employed by them and work within the requirements of the company's Safety Rules.
- Ensuring that key control & instrumentation plant areas are maintained as defined by the planned maintenance strategy to highest standards using best practice.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Controls/Process Apprenticeship, ONC/HNC level in Controls/Process engineering, candidates with equivalent industry experience will be considered.
- Knowledge of CCGT power plant operation and maintenance.
- Knowledge of C&I Engineering practices such as, (DCS) Digital Control Systems, (PLC) Programmable Logic Controllers and (SCADA) Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition systems.
- A broad understanding of Health and Safety, a certificate in IOSH or NEBOSH would be advantageous.
- Have an understanding and knowledge of defect assessment and analysis on C&I equipment and of maintenance techniques and strategies.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Hannah on Hannah.email@example.com / 01738 341147.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for today, why not sign up for job alerts?
We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional performance cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.
For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice
These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you that amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but then some parts of the site will not work.
These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve site performance. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.